Podcast: Play in new window | Download
We got a chance to talk with Allen Elliott and Donnie Rhodes. In this episode they talk about how the started playing, how they teamed up, and how they prepared for the ’81 Rose Bowl.
- Hear how all-time greats Allen Elliott, Donnie Rhodes, and Jeff Felberbaum joined forces to win the Rose Bowl in 1981.
- Donnie shares how he grew up “Dolly Parton poor” in Appalachia and how Frisbee became such a huge escape from his daily life.
- Ultimately, it was the many dance classes, generous mentoring, and a pure love of the sport, that drove Donnie’s Frisbee trajectory.
- Watch their semi Finals performance
- Watch the Semis and Finals edited together to Pinball Wizard, from a different camera angle.
This routine was very inspiring. In fact, we listened to the podcast right after we watched the video twice, and then went to the Shores to jam with Dave Murphy for 2 hours (for the third day in a row, no less).
Anyway, back to the podcast- I learned so much about Donnie and Allen that I never knew. The Overall players of that era didn’t mix or mingle much with the freestylers, though we knew some of them.
So, thanks guys, for the great history lesson and filling in those gaps.
the parallel with donnie is amazing!except canadian version i had an extra 5 years back experience before 79.i thot evan david and corey baso won van 79 my 1st real tourney.
great interview once again! amazing to hear about the history of these two – and the amazing stories being told that so many of us weren’t aware of. this is great!
Pingback: Poll: What other skills do you use to enhance your Freestyle Game? - Heinsville
Pingback: Episode 16: Jeff Felberbaum Continues the Conversation - FrisbeeGuru
Pingback: Episode 44: Joey Hudoklin is Just Getting Warm - FrisbeeGuru